Sunday, November 14, 2010

Kate's Ironman - next sunday

Dear Friends - Thanks for all of your support and encouragment as I train for Ironman Arizona. The Ironman is next Sunday in beautiful Tempe. It is a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile run. An Ironman race is one of the items on my life list/bucket list. I hope to knock it off the list this weekend but if not, I will try again next year. Who would have ever thought I'd make it this far? Plus, I've dropped 20 pounds and feel great!

Here is the deal. The race has several cut off times along the way. (See list of cut off times below) If I don't meet one of the cut offs the race officials make you stop. The race starts at 7:00a.m. with the swim portion. The first cut off time is 9:20. My swim times have been very close to that cut off time. I have no wiggle room on this time. No room for error. If I am NOT out of the water in 2:20 minutes I cannot continue. If I DO get out of the water by 2:20 then I have a shot at making it to the end. I will have 17 hours to complete the race and must cross the finish line by midnight. The swim is my weakest sport of the three.

If you want to track my progress you can go to www.ironman.com . You can look me up by my bib number (2436) or name. For those of you in Phoenix, please do not come down to the race. Traffic will be nuts. The website is the best way to see how I'm doing. If you do come down, I'll be wearing an ASU bike jersey and ASU running gear.

No matter what happens I'm glad I took this challenge. I will probably sign up for next years race. Wish me luck!! I'll need it!! Kate

Swim Cut Off (9:20 am - 2.4 miles/4224 yards/3862.425meters)
2 hours 20 mins = 2.4 miles = 3:37 mins per 100 meters

Bike Cut Off (3:00pm - 76 miles/ 4:15pm - 93 miles/ 5:30pm - 112 miles)
8 hours 10 mins = 112 miles = 13.71 miles per hour

Run Cut Off (10:15pm - 17.4 miles/ 12:00 am - 26.2 miles)
6 hours 30 mins = 26.2 miles = 14.53 mins per mile

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Kate. Be strong and don't neglect your diet this week. Lots of water all week, etc etc etc. You should have been burritos in your bag too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beetso. I'm going to be good all week. Lots of water!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate! Great race. Thanks for giving me the courage to jump in the water after you. What's up next? After eating everything in sight this week, I need some new goals. Thinking maybe Barbs Race (1/2 at the same time as full Vineman). Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete