Saturday, March 13, 2010

70 Miles! Wow! I did that?


Today me and my buddies rode 70 mile on our road bikes.  I'm so excited.  I can't believe I did it.  I got my bike in April of last year.  I could not go over 16 miles an hour, I was spent after 13 miles, and I was scared to ride down hills.  Today we averaged 16.5 miles per hour, traveled 70 miles, and my fastest time was 40.5 miles per hour going down hill.

If you really think about it, I shouldn't be able to do this.  I'm an overweight mom of two who is going to turn 40 this year.  I can't swim well and I've had a road bike less then a year.  How did this happen?  Well, anyway, enough about me. 

The ride was great.  Suzanne, Peter, Ron, Denten, and I took the 70 mile challenge.  It was a beautiful day for a ride.  Gary met us in Phoenix and rode the rest of the way with us.  We road to the end of Pecos road on the South Side of South Mountain.  I love being around the mountains.  At mile 56 I was TIRED!  Luckily we stopped and fueled up at a bagel shop.  It was just enough to get me home.  It also helped that  Gary was our pacer the last 10 miles.  He had us going 18-20 miles an hour on my hardest stretch of the ride.  Thanks to him, we kept our average speed up to 16.5 mph. 

I'm proud I did the ride.  It was a great work out.  I hope it helps with the Half Ironman! 

PS - I dedicate this ride to Judi for her 50th birthday! 

2 comments:

  1. This ride was great! My little GPS pooped out at about 55 miles so that was a bummer but we made it all in one piece! Thanks, Gary, for keeping us going. And Denten, it was great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete