Thursday, February 25, 2010

29 Days . . .

WHAT THE HELL AM  I DOING?! 

I can't believe I signed up for a Half Ironman.  I'm almost 40.  I'm overweight.  I'm slow.  I can't swim.  I'm  really starting to freak out.

All I can do at this point is QUIT or work my ASS OFF!  I choose the latter.  Quitting isn't an option b/c I've invested too much time, money and energy at this point to turn back.  Plus I told too many people I am doing it!

So in the triathlon training world you should go super hard the next couple weeks and then I take it easy before the race.  With this in mind I have planned a big weekend.  I am going to do a long ride up to the towers at South Mountain.  To ride all the way up to the top you have to ride up hill for about 7 miles.  It is pretty steep so I doubt we will have many other riders with us.  The total ride will be around 50 miles and I want to start climbing after about 30 miles.  I'm also going to do a long run this weekend.  I'm hoping for about 8 miles.

I have also been in touch with my swim coach.  For the past year I have taken adult swim classes off and on.  My coach's name is Jonny.  He is a former British national champ and a former Arizona State University swimmer.  I am going to set up an hour long private lesson.  I've come a long way since I've started swimming but I think I could pick up some time if I had better form.  Hopefully Jonny is a miracle worker!

Wish me luck!  It is going to be a crazy couple of weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment