Sunday, January 24, 2010

Silent Sunday at South Mountain

I'm very excited about my ride today. We tackled South Mountain! It was "silent sunday" which means the roads were closed to traffic so bikers and joggers could enjoy the park without dodging cars.  At the very top of the mountain there are TV towers that we can see from our house in Gilbert.  1300 feet in elevation changes.  It was a ton of climbing with 4 and 5% grades. We drove it yesterday and I was sure I would have to walk some it.

Well, it was a success! I climbed it and felt pretty good. I can feel my biking skills getting stronger and stronger.  Ron said this is now his favorite ride.  It is up there for me but probably not my favorite.  It is cool having the road to yourself!   

I am hoping to get that ride in again but after some front end mileage to try to replicate the half ironman course.  A girl who did the California Half Ironman last year said that South Mountain was good practice for the half ironman.

I ruined the great day of exercise by eating everything in sight. Oh well. At least I'm working out!

Here is a link that shows the ride up to the TV towers.  Make sure you hit the elevation button under the mileage so you can see how steep it it!  The Half Ironman route with elevation is shown on the bottom right hand side of the page.  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/az/phoenix/825124310682582761

No comments:

Post a Comment