Monday, November 9, 2009

Blue Water Triathlon - Kate's race report

Blue Water Triathlon
2009-11-08
Parker, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
75F / 24CSunny


Triathlon - Long Course
Total Time = 3h 51m 39s
Overall Rank = 44/51
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7

Pre-race routine: We packed up the family and drove 3.5 hours to Parker, Arizona. It was nice to have a family adventure. We ended up getting to the race site in time for packet pick up and the pre-race meeting. After the meeting we drove the race course (more hills than I expected) and settled into the hotel.

We connected with our friend Kyle (who will do the Half Ironman with us in March). This was his first full race. He did one and got 3 flats on during the race and called it day. Then he did a Half Ironman relay. He was the bike portion. Kyle was more than ready to get a race under his belt. We had a nice dinner and then went to our rooms.

I was very anxious b/c the course was so long. It was my longest race of the season - a 1k Swim, a 33 mile bike, and a 5 mile run. This was also my first race this season without Peter! I was a little out of sorts.

I woke up at 6:00 and got to the transition around 6:15. Our room was in a great location. We looked right onto transition and the finish was only steps away. Perfect for my hubby and kids. I ate a bar and a banana and drank some water. I was looking for cofee but there was no free coffee available. LAME!! I left my money in the room and didn't want to go back in and wake the family. I met up with Kyle and we hung out until his start. We were both anxious.


Swim Comments: I'm very happy with my swim. It felt good. I wasn't fast but I was steady and consistant. I did much better on my sighting as well. I even passed a few ladies. One freaky part was that the water was so clear you could see everything. When you got near the shore you could see all the weeds right below your head. It was scary. I thought I would see a hand come out and get me or a body like in a horror movie. SCARY!! Overall, it was actually the best I've ever felt during a swim. I'll take it.

What would you do differently?: Swim faster.

Transition 1 Comments: Again, no chip timing for this race and no transitions times. I think my first transition was pretty good. The wetsuit came off pretty easily and I had plenty of space for my stuff. My only problem was with my bike shoe. I couldn't get the insole to lay correctly so I ended up taking it out and riding without one.

Bike Comments: I felt ok on the bike but think I could do much better with more practice. I didn't have the gearing issues I had last week. I only passed one person. I need more hill work and more time in the saddle. My back started hurting around mile 20. Suzanne said I need to strengthen my core and gave me some exercise ideas. Hopefully that will help me.

Transition 2 Comments: Just an OK transition. Coming into transition 2 my 4 year old son said "Mom, you are a slow poke!!" True son. Very true.

Run Comments: I had no legs left after the bike. I was tired out. I had to start walk/running around mile 3. It was interesting that the run was my highest ranked part! Oh well.

What would you do differently?: Run the whole race.

Post race Warm down: No warm down. I rushed to my room to take a quick shower and head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster: WEIGHT!! I need to drop at least 20 before the California 70.3. I'm down about 14 since I started this training but I have a long way to go. I need to work on my food intake.

Event comments: No athena division and no trophy this race. That is ok though. I enjoyed this race. Small but well done. It was extra special having my husband and kids rooting me on at the transition. I would do definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment