Friday, November 13, 2009

To bike or write?

Yesterday I had a dilemma: work on a take home midterm (I'm saving my opinion on midterms given out 2 weeks before the end of the semester for another posting . . .) that's due next Tuesday but should be done by tonight (Friday) in the interest of not failing other classes or go ride with Tribe?

I debated most of the day. I love riding with the Thursday night group! I've been doing that since the beginning of September. It's usually a huge group, nearly 70 people of all speeds and shapes and whatnot, and even though I often find myself towards the back of the pack, it's great fun. But this nagging midterm!

6:00 pm rolled around, which is the time I usually get ready to head up to the Tribe shop for the 7:10 pm ride, and I was of course sitting at my laptop typing out rules about whether Indian tribes have regulatory jurisdiction over non-Indian owned land within their reservation (sorry. Nerded out on you for a second there) when I realized I was fast on the road to stir-crazy town.

I threw my bike, flat front tire and all, in the car, hopped in and drove off to Tribe before I could talk myself out it.

The ride was totally worth a couple hours lost on my exam, especially after doing nothing physical but walking up a flight of stairs in the law school on Wednesday. Normally this ride is 2 x (almost) 10 mile loops, but last night I rode a little farther up in the pack with a group a little faster than I'm used to. Not only did I manage to keep up really well and even pull the pace line for a few miles at 22 mph (!) but also eeked out a third lap. We didn't have a reason not to keep going, really, and no, I didn't want to come home right away and type type type.

So the ride was great! And like always, I was able to focus so much better once I did get back to my exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment