Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Swim Masters

I am a poor swimmer. I admit it.

I have been taking lessons for months now. Although I have improved my skills quite a bit I have a long way to go to be ready to swim 1.2 miles! I realized that I need spend a lot more time in the pool.

Today I bit the bullet and I signed up for a Swim Masters workout group. I can't believe I did it. Basically, I can choose between 3 or 4 workout times a day to train with a group of swimmers. (6:00 a.m., Noon, 6:00 pm., and 7:00 pm) All of these times are at pools less then a mile from my office. A coach will be walking along the side of the pool to yell out drills. I will have to try to complete the drills within a certain time frame. The coach will assign you a lane based on your level of swimming. I was told Lane 1 is the slow lane. I have a feeling that will be my home for a long time.

I'm hoping the coach will give me some feedback on my stroke and the drills will help improve my form. I'm really scared to do this, but I'm even more scared to drown during the Half Ironman so I need to suck it up! My first swim is tomorrow at Noon.

1 comment: